Friday, October 14, 2011

The Uncle Oren Metaphor

I liked the metaphor Stephen King provided; however, I do think he took a little long to tell it to us. I didn't think we needed the exact details of how he chose a screwdriver and how Oren used it. The metaphor comparing a tool box to the wealth of techniques we use to write makes it easier to write whenever since instead of thinking about an assignment as a whole, we can think about the different elements of writing that we bring around with us in our heads. It metaphor helps us realize that writing can be a "divide and conquer" type activities, focusing on the different types of "tools" like grammar, sentence structure, vocabulary, substance, literary devices, and other elements used in writing. This passage, along with the others, will affect my reading and writing for the rest of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment